Saturday, February 14, 2015

Valentines Day DUI

On this beautiful Valentines Day, my family and I took advantage of the weather to play outside. The boys and I kicked the ball around the yard and threw small rocks into a puddle. I noticed a white Ford truck with Wyoming plates pulled over against the side walk in front of our driveway. The female passenger signaled for me to talk with them. I walked over the truck and the older male driver asked the directions to the fairgrounds. As I gave the directions to the fairgrounds, I saw the driver put his arm on the center console covering what appeared to be an open beer can. 

After I explained how to get to the fairgrounds, I asked the driver if he has been drinking and driving. He asked what I meant. I pointed out that his arm is covering a beer can. He lifted his arm and revealing the open beer can. The driver said the can was his wife's beverage. I advised him that an open alcoholic container is illegal in the State of Idaho. I also, introduced myself as a police officer for my city. I instructed him not to leave until a uniformed officer arrived. At this point, the driver admitted to drinking a portion of the beer. I asked him to give me his drivers license. The driver turned off the truck and handed me his drivers license. I dialed 911, told them who I was, stated that I had a possible DUI, and that I needed an officer to my location ASAP. 

Two officers from my department arrived and investigated the matter further. They had the driver exit his vehicle and participate in the Standardized Field Sobriety Tests (SFSTs) (roadside olympics). However, after the an officer checked the driver for the Horizontal Gaze Nystagmus, he did not find enough evidence to continue the SFSTs. The officer removed the open container then dumped it out on the road and destroyed the can (all of this is done in front of the patrol vehicle's video camera to document the proof). The officer had the driver return to this vehicle while a citation was filled out. 

The driver was charged with Open Container, a misdemeanor in Idaho. 

Happy Valentines Day.  

1 comment:

  1. Awe poor guy, got more than he bargained for. All he wanted was simple directions and he ended up with a misdemeanor.

    ReplyDelete