I was driving down one of the main roads as I looked down a smaller back road and noticed a plume of smoke. Not thinking much of it I continued on down the road. Then it hit me, why is there a huge plume of smoke coming from the gas station? I turned around and drove down that back road toward the gas station. I saw a car in the gas station parking lot smoking form the engine compartment. There were a couple people standing close by watching the car smoke. I saw a fire extinguisher lying empty in the parking lot. None of the people standing there called 911 to report a potential car fire. Maybe they just wanted to watch it burn. I parked my car at an angle blocking the road way. I called my dispatcher on the radio and reported a car fire. I also advised that they needed to dispatch the fire department. My Chief arrived with his police truck. He attached a tow rope from his truck the the smoking car and pulled it away from the gas station building. As he did, the cars engine compartment burst in to flames. He towed the car to the middle of the road and retrieved his tow rope. It was still a few minutes before the fire department arrived. As we waited the flames grew bigger and bigger. It looked pretty cool.
I asked the owner of the vehicle what had happened. He stated that he didn't know. He works as a cashier at the gas station. A customer came in and said that there was a white car in the parking lot with ton of smoke coming from it. Knowing that there were electrical issues with his car, the gas station cashier walked out to find his car was engulfed in smoke.
The fire department arrived and extinguished the flames. Luckily no one was hurt. Thanks to the Chief, he saved the gas station from burning down by pulling the car away from the building. I found it odd that no one called 911. They all just stood to watch it.
That's the craziest thing ever, I can't believe no one called 911 - a car on fire by a gas station and nobody thought, gee this could blow up - good thing you stopped by!
ReplyDelete